When you enable the SharePoint on-premises hybrid with Office 365, you might want to have different theme on O365 to distinguish the two different environments. Although end users could change the theme themselves to their sites, you might want to change the them globally across all the O365 applications and for all users. Here are the instructions and tips to change them globally and individually.
Steps to change O365 theme across the applications like Lync, People, O365, and SharePoint can be achieved to utilize the new functionality Office 365 Global Suite Bar themes.
- Login to your Office 365 Admin Dashboard (https://portal.office.com/admin)
- Click your company name link on the right side as in the screenshot
- Click Custom theming
- From the property page choose a logo, pick your URL for where you would want the Logo to link to, accent colors, text and link colors, and other Office 365 logo colors . In this case, I provide the SharePoint on-premises URL so users could click the company icon and get back to SharePoint on-premises.
- You will see the change after few minutes across the applications including Outlook, Calendar, People, OneDrive, About Me, Delve, and SharePoint.
Step to change individual O365site to overwrite the global theme.
- Click Setting for the site collection and select Change theme
- Select the theme you could like and Save
- You will the change after few minutes for just this site collection
- The global theme will not be applied to Yammer
- The global theme may take sometime to propagate to some applications especially to SharePoint.
- If users have updated the site collection theme, they need to update to use default theme to see the change.
- If users still do not see the updated theme, click settings and then theme, and cancel. It should trigger the change to be displayed.
- User might see the OoB theme first and then the custom theme overwrite it